«I don’t feel any compulsion just to stand under the spotlight night after night unless I have something to say» — Leonard Cohen





Canadian writer, singer and artist Leonard Cohen reading his poem ‘Two Went to Sleep’:

Animation: Patrick Smith


Two went to sleep
almost every night
one dreamed of mud
one dreamed of Asia
visiting a zeppelin
visiting Nijinsky

Two went to sleep
one dreamed of ribs
one dreamed of senators

Two went to sleep
two travellers

The long marriage
in the dark

The sleep was old
the travellers were old
one dreamed of oranges
one dreamed of Carthage

Two friends asleep
years locked in travel

Good night my darling
as the dreams waved goodbye
one travelled lightly
one walked through water
visiting a chess game
visiting a booth
always returning
to wait out the day

One carried matches
one climbed a beehive
one sold an earphone
one shot a German

Two went to sleep
every sleep went together
wandering away
from an operating table
one dreamed of grass
one dreamed of spokes
one bargained nicely
one was a snowman
one counted medicine
one tasted pencils
one was a child
one was a traitor
visiting heavy industry
visiting the family

Two went to sleep
none could foretell
one went with baskets
one took a ledger
one night happy
one night in terror

Love could not bind them

Fear could not either
they went unconnected
they never knew where
always returning
to wait out the day
parting with kissing
parting with yawns
visiting Death till
they wore out their welcome
visiting Death till
the right disguise worked
Leonard Cohen ~ 1964



Delivered in Cohen’s distinctive baritone, the work wanders through a restless moonlit winter night spent imagining the dreamscapes of two nearby, sleeping companions. 







Sisters of mercy

Oh, the sisters of mercy, they are not departed or gone
They were waiting for me when I thought that I just can't go on
And they brought me their comfort and later they brought me this song
Oh, I hope you run into them, you who've been travelling so long

Yes, you who must leave everything that you cannot control
It begins with your family, but soon it comes around to your soul
Well, I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned
When you're not feeling holy, your loneliness says that you've sinned

Well, they lay down beside me, I made my confession to them
They touched both my eyes and I touched the dew on their hem
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem

When I left they were sleeping, I hope you run into them soon
Don't turn on the lights, you can read their address by the moon
And you won't make me jealous if I hear that they sweetened your night
We weren't lovers like that and besides, it would still be all right
We weren't lovers like that and besides, it would still be all right
Leonard Cohen

Comentários

Mensagens populares